Monday, November 11, 2013

Bling, Bling, Bling!!!!

Hi everyone, I have many interests, but one of my passions has always been, yes, that's right, bling!  I think I developed this passion at an early age, seeing that already when I was about five I used to dress up w/my mom's costume jewelry and not only, yes, her high heels were a must too, lol.  Since I can remember things that glitter and shine have always caught my eye, mind you I'm choosy, never liked the gaudy bling, it always had and has to have a certain elegance and fit in with what I'm wearing perfectly.  As a child in the late sixties I used to love to imitate my beautiful mom, I used to go in her room and put on her heels and costume jewelry, often she'd walk in and say "you mustn't wear my heels or they will ruin" then she'd laugh and say "I used to do the same with my mom's things."
As I grew my bling passion progressed, in the seventies my Saturday afternoon passtime was going to Birk's at Jackson Square in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario, with mom or a friend, but mostly mom, since we shared this blingy hobby..lol.  If you are from Canada and love bling then you will agree that back then Birk's was the place to go!  I remember there used to be a special offers table set up at the entrance with the little blue Birk's boxes lying on top and each box held a small Birk's treasure, nothing expensive mind you but so appealing to the eye, and wallet.  I think we never, ever left empty handed, we always ended buying a bling or two.  I still have many of those little treasures to this day.
In the eighties when big bling was the craze, I loved to wear huge earrings, clunky bracelets and chokers along with my big hair of course.  Back then it was all about hair and shoulder pads, so the big bling fit in perfectly, haha!
In the nineties when I married and had my children I still wore my bling but only in appropriate moments since holding my sons while they were grabbing at my necklaces was not very practical or comfertable, not to mention safe, as they always stuck things in their mouths as most babies and toddlers do.  I'd limit myself to wearing blingy jewelry to special occasions or the occasional dinner party with my husband.
The 2000's were a turning point for me as far as bling goes, my children grew older and less grabby, haha, and so hello bling again, full force that is, I had to make up for lost time blingwise!! These days I'm living in Italy and every chance I get I hit the local open air markets, believe me you can get some great deals on bling, beautiful costume jewelry with prices that vary from €1.00 to €5.00 for the cheapest but still nice bling to €10.00 to not more than €15.00 - €20.00 for the most expensive bling.  In other words a bling lovers heaven!
So as you can see my passion lives on, even after all these years, no regrets or guilts for always having bought all the bling, and my moto was, is and always will be, I Love Bling!!


No comments:

Post a Comment